Romance DVD cover
|Directed by||Catherine Breillat|
|Produced by||Jean-François Lepetit|
|Written by||Catherine Breillat|
|Music by||Raphaël Tidas|
|Distributed by||Trimark Pictures Inc.|
|Release date(s)||September 17, 1999|
|Running time||99 mins. (93 mins.)(84 mins.)|
Plot synopsisWhen Marie's boyfriend Paul refuses to have sex with her, she is forced to search for intimacy beyond the bounds of traditional sexual limitations, a journey that proves to be both fulfilling and empowering.
Broadcasting and ratingsIn Europe, Romance was shown in mainstream cinemas; in the U.S., it was reduced to a mainstream-acceptable R-rating, and the European original version is un-rated. In March 2004, the original version was broadcast, late-night on German public television. In Australia, the original version of Romance was broadcast uncut on the cable television network World Movies. The film was initially refused classification in Australia, before it was awarded an R18+ on appeal. It single-handedly paved the way for actual sex to be accommodated in the R18+ classification in Australia. In Canada, particularly in Alberta and the Maritimes, the sexuality was seen as gratuitous to the film and it was given an A rating and XXX rating in those regions. In June 2008, in the Netherlands, the original version of Romance was broadcast on Dutch public TV, by VPRO, as one of a series of Erotica art house cinema.
- Anne Gillain, "Profile of a Filmmaker: Catherine Breillat" Beyond French Feminisms: debates on women, Politics and Culture in France, 1981 – 2001, edited by Roger Célestin et al. New York: Macmillan (2003): 202. Catherine Breillat's "film Romance had received much praise—and criticism—the previous year for using a porn-film actor and a scene showing a nonsimulated sexual act, including a shot of an erection in the foreground."
- "Romance (1999)". Refused-Classification.com. Retrieved December 9, 2011.
- Film classification listing for Romance at Alberta Film Ratings
- Film classification listing for Romance at Maritime Film Classification Board (Rating is listed at bottom)
- Romance at AllRovi
- Romance at Box Office Mojo
- Romance at the Internet Movie Database
- Romance at Metacritic
- Romance at Rotten Tomatoes